Adult Medicaid

Current Medicaid Recipients

Starting March 15, 2021, there is a new way to get Medicaid health care.

Most people will get the same Medicaid services in a new way – through Managed Care Health Plans. You will be able to choose the health plan that is best for you. A health plan is a group of doctors, hospitals and other providers. They work together to give you the health care you need. Everything will come from the same health plan. This includes physical health, behavioral health, and medicine.

1 - Choose a primary care provider (PCP): To keep your doctor, clinic or other health care provider as your PCP, find out which health plan they work with. You can also choose a new PCP. For a list of doctors for each health plan, visit the website, use the mobile app or call us toll free.
2 - Choose a health plan: A health plan is a group of doctors, hospitals and other providers. They work together to give you the health care you need. There are several health plans to choose from. Learn more:
3 - Enroll in one of these ways:
• Go to
• Use the NC Medicaid Managed Care mobile app
• Call us toll free at 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 1-833-870-5588)
• When you receive an enrollment form, fill it out and mail or fax it back

• About your eligibility: Contact your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office. Find contact information here:
• About choosing or enrolling in a health plan: Go to (chat feature available), use the NC Medicaid Managed Care mobile app or call us toll free at 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 1-833-870-5588)
• About your benefits: Call your health plan. Find contact information here:

To learn more, click HERE.

NC Medicaid Managed Care Fact Sheet: English | Spanish
NC Medicaid Managed Care Information Flyer: English | Spanish
NC Medicaid Managed Care FAQ: English | Spanish
NC Medicaid Managed Care Introductory Video: English | Spanish

New Medicaid Recipients

Adult Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that helps with medical costs for some people with limited income and resources. Each state’s Medicaid programs differ to some degree, and Medicaid cannot transfer from state to state. Medicare, which differs from Medicaid, is administered by the federal government through the Social Security Administration. Medicare is available for retirees and certain disabled individuals. Additional information is available at

In order to be eligible to receive Adult Medicaid, individuals must be:

  • A U.S. Citizen or qualified alien
  • A resident of North Carolina and have a social security number or have applied for one
  • Age 65 or older,
  • Blind or Disabled,
  • In need of long-term care,
  • Receiving Medicare, or
  • Currently receiving a check for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Special Assistance for the Aged, Disabled or Blind (SAA, SAD or SAB).

A Social Services eligibility specialist will assess your individual situation and inform you of your eligibility status. For more information, please visit the North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services’ Medicaid Information page.

There are several ways to apply for Adult Medicaid:

  • In Person: You may apply in person at Catawba County Social Services (address and map at left). Office hours are 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
  • By Phone: (828) 695-5692
  • Online: Visit to apply online.
  • By Mail: Call (828) 695-5692 and ask for an application to be mailed to you.

If possible, please have the items listed below with you when you apply. If you do not have some or all of these items, please apply anyway because it is very important to protect your application date. An eligibility specialist can assist you in obtaining these items and information.

  • Proof of Citizenship/Alien Status (birth certificate, passport, certificate of naturalization, permanent resident card, etc.)
  • Documents to verify identity (Social Security Card, NC Driver’s License, NC ID Card, etc.)
  • A copy of Medicare Card and proof of all other health insurance
  • Proof of Residency (2 items such as NC Driver’s License, lease agreement, copy of utility bill, etc.)
  • Copy of all pay stubs for last month
  • Proof of income, including financial statements or award letters from all sources (Social Security, retirement benefits, pensions, veteran’s benefits, child support, etc.)
  • Copy of most recent bank statement (checking, savings, CDs, retirement, 401k, etc.)
  • Copy of all life insurance and/or burial insurance policies
  • List of all real estate owned or co-owned
  • List of all vehicles, mobile homes, trailers, campers, boats, etc. that you own

This is not an all-inclusive list but includes the most requested items.

Three types of Medicaid transportation are available to Medicaid recipients:

  • Customers able to transfer independently to and from the vehicle may call the Social Services Medicaid Transportation unit at (828) 695-5608 between 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Monday-Friday to reserve transportation services. Medicaid transportation is provided in County vehicles driven by Social Services employees. Customers must be able to transfer independently to and from the vehicle. A three-business-day notice is needed for appointments within Catawba County, and a five-business-day notice is needed for appointments outside of Catawba County. If possible, we will attempt to assist on shorter notice.
  • If you are unable to transfer independently into a vehicle or use a wheelchair, we contract with other vendors to provide a lift van to take you to your Medicaid appointments. Call the Social Services Medicaid Transportation unit at (828) 695-5608 to arrange transportation.
  • If you own a vehicle or have access to a vehicle, you may qualify for gas vouchers to assist you with getting to your Medicaid appointments. Call (828) 695-2135 for more information about gas vouchers.

Things You Should Know

Transportation is provided to and from your home to your medical appointments that are covered by Medicaid. You have the right to select your own medical provider except when the needed service can be obtained locally and when the chosen provider is not at a significantly greater distance from your residence solely because of personal preference.

If there is a medical reason for seeing a provider outside of Catawba County when the service can be obtained locally, then a referral from a local provider with justification will be required.

We must transport by the least expensive means available suitable to your needs. We take into account individual circumstances when determining what transportation is suitable.