Local Code Compliance

The Local Code Compliance Division assists the citizens and property owners of Catawba County with out of compliance issues related to Erosion Control, Junk Vehicles, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), Solid Waste Management, and Solid Waste Franchise.

How to report a violation?

Contact a Local Code Compliance Technician:

Frequently Asked Questions

Some areas of local code compliance are grouped together in order to better assist the citizens and property owners of Catawba County throughout the unincorporated portion of the county and outside the extraterritorial planning jurisdictions of the municipalities. Our goal is to provide information to enhance and improve our community and public awareness. In areas of Junk Vehicles, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), Solid Waste Management, Solid Waste Franchise, and Erosion Control you will not be forced to deal with multiple departments. Your concerns can be addressed by one department with cross-trained technicians that can provide timely responses.

The Solid Waste Code Chapter 32 is a section in the Catawba County Code of Ordinances which addresses compliance issues concerning solid waste such as garbage collection permits, fees, garbage collection and transport, garbage storage and accumulation, land-clearing and inert debris landfills, construction and demolition debris landfills, and individual demolition debris disposal sites. If you receive a letter stating that you are in violation, you must not be meeting the code ordinance and there is a need for action from your part to remediate the issue.

Unfortunately, as the property owner you are responsible for your property. Therefore, the County will address a particular situation to you. However, we will work with you allowing as much time as possible to bring the property into compliance, suggest ideas that may provide assistance, and recommend courses of action.

The County provides curbside solid waste and recycling collection through its solid waste franchise agreement with Republic Services of North Carolina. This gives the citizens in the unincorporated areas of the County the opportunity to have garbage pickup with the convenience of the collection at curbside. For information on curbside recycling and garbage pickup, call Republic Services at (828) 256-2158.

Unfortunately, if you are using another waste hauler collecting solid waste from your property located in the unincorporated areas of the County you are violating the County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 32. In order to protect the citizens and property owners the County has no choice but to enforce a franchise violation. It is important to note that the franchise agreement does not apply to properties within a municipal boundary.

If your building project is located within the unincorporated areas of Catawba County, the use of the construction and demolition roll-off container is governed through the franchise agreement with Republic Services. For questions concerning this portion of the franchise agreement, please contact the Permit Center at (828) 465-8399 or the Utilities and Engineering Department at (828) 465-8261.

Click here to find out how to dispose of some less common types of waste.

A junked vehicle is any motor vehicle that does not display a current North Carolina license plate that:

  • Is partially dismantled or wrecked.
  • Cannot be moved by means which it was originally intended to move. This includes dismantled truck trailers or truck bed boxes which were originally attached or a motorized vehicle.
  • Or is more than 5 years old and appears to be worth less than $100.

This ordinance is intended to protect the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of the County, natural scenic beauty as well as property values.

Yes. The exceptions are if the motor vehicle is in an enclosed building; at a business enterprise being legally maintained and operated primarily for the purpose of making repairs to motor vehicles; or on the premises of a business enterprise being operated in a legally zoned place if the vehicle is necessary in the operation of the business or needed in the operation of a bona-fide farm. For a complete list refer to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), Section 44-810.

No. Catawba County DOES NOT have a grass or vegetation ordinance.