Veteran Services

The Catawba County Veteran Services Office assists veterans and their dependents in filing claims with the Veterans Administration for benefits and service.

Appointments are required to meet with the Veteran Services Officer. To make an appointment, please call (828) 465-8255. If you reside outside Catawba County, you must contact the Veteran Services Office in the county where you live to receive services.

The Veteran Services Office is located at the Catawba County Justice Center, 100 Government Drive, Newton, NC 28658 (located off Business HWY 321). Enter through the Emergency Services entrance on the south side of the Justice Center building.

Contact Us: (828) 465-8255

Helpful Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the Register of Deeds in the County that you lived in when you were discharged from service. They may have a copy on file. If they do not, go to and order a copy from St. Louis, MO.

Each case is a little different when applying for healthcare. A 10-10EZ form must be filled out with a copy of the DD-214. Income questions are asked, and if your income is over the VA Means Threshold you may not be eligible. If you are service connected, you can apply for benefits at any of the VA hospitals or clinics.

Healthcare claims are usually processed within 30 to 60 days. Any disability claims, including pension and compensation, take approximately 8 to 10 months. Nothing can be done to speed up the process.

If you have never registered for VA Healthcare Services, you must first enroll by completing a VA Form 10-10EZ. If you are already in the system, you will need to speak to your primary care provider about being transferred to the Hickory OPC.

Yes, an appointment is necessary to seek benefits. This will give us ample time to work with you and answer your needs and concerns. Please call (828) 465-8255 to make an appointment.