Welcome to Catawba County Social Services, where our mission is to strengthen, with dignity and respect, the quality of life for all citizens through supportive services and advocacy. We work to prevent social problems, maintain those unable to care for themselves, help the able-bodied become employed, protect children and adults from abuse and neglect, help children have permanent homes, and give the elderly and disabled a choice to remain in their own homes.
Catawba County Social Services welcomes your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your questions and suggestions.
Our diverse range of services includes the following:
- Family Support Services includes daycare assistance, food stamps, family Medicaid and child support
- Adult Services includes Medicaid, long-term care assistance, special assistance in home, and adult protective services
- Senior Nutrition Services includes Meals on Wheels and Seniors Morning Out
- Family & Children Services includes child protective services, prevention and child wellbeing programs, counseling and residential services
- Foster Care & Adoption includes foster family training and licensure, adoptive family services, post adoption services, reunification of adult adoptees
- Transportation Services includes Medicaid transportation services
Catawba County Social Services Mission Statement
To strengthen, with dignity and respect, the well-being and quality of life for all citizens through supportive services and advocacy.
Catawba County Social Services Statement of Philosophy
- be a model of excellence focused on achieving positive results.
- ensure that services are provided in an efficient and effective manner.
- be good stewards of County, State, and Federal resources.
- ensure effective communication with internal and external partners.
- be a responsive and respectful place to work and seek help.
- be engaged in our work and seek solutions through teamwork, innovation and inclusive decision making.
Catawba County Social Services Board Goals:
- Vulnerable children are in safe, nurturing, financially stable environments.
- Citizens will become or remain economically independent.
- Vulnerable citizens and disabled adults are safe and have opportunities to remain in their own homes.
- Citizens will be knowledgeable of and satisfied with Social Services.
- Social Services will operate with the highest standards of effectiveness and efficiency.
- Children and families will have access to nurturing, education, support and treatment services to maximize family functioning.
The Social Services Commission will make an appointment to the Catawba County Board of Social Services to fill the seat of an unexpired term. The term will expire June 30, 2025. The Social Services Commission will consider nominations at a future meeting. The nomination period is scheduled from September 28, 2022, to October 28, 2022. Nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on October 28, 2022. See Public Notice | Click HERE for nomination form
Medicaid Transformation - A New Way to Get Medicaid Health Care
Starting March 15, 2021, there is a new way to get Medicaid health care.
Most people will get the same Medicaid services in a new way – through Managed Care Health Plans. You will be able to choose the health plan that is best for you. A health plan is a group of doctors, hospitals and other providers. They work together to give you the health care you need. Everything will come from the same health plan. This includes physical health, behavioral health, and medicine.
Click HERE to learn more about these changes and what you need to do.
Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) / Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
LIHWAP is a temporary emergency program that will help eligible households and families afford water and wastewater services, providing a one-time payment for eligible low-income households paid directly to the utility company. LIHWAP runs through September 2023 or until the funds are exhausted. Learn more English | Español. Apply for assistance through ECCCM by clicking HERE.