You will find that Catawba County has one of the best benefits packages around. Our Human Resources staff are dedicated to keeping in touch with trends in benefits on both a local and national level, listening to employees' suggestions regarding benefits, and continually reviewing to ensure our benefits package is of good quality and meets the needs of both our employees and our organization. Available benefits include:
- Health: For a small bi-weekly contribution, employees may choose between a traditional (co-pay) health plan and a high deductible plan coupled with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Coverage may also be purchased for spouse, child(ren), or family.
- Dental Insurance: At no cost to full-time employees, the County covers preventive, routine, and non-routine care. Coverage for the same benefits may also be purchased for spouse, child(ren) and family. In addition, orthodontia coverage is provided for children up to age 19. Coverage may also be purchased for spouse, child(ren), or family.
- Vision Care: Coverage is available, at current group rates, for employee, spouse, child, or entire family, with 2 plan options to choose from.
- Supplemental critical care and accident insurance plans: Optional coverage plans are available at a nominal cost.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Pre-tax accounts which can be used to pay for out-of-pocket medical, dental, vision or dependent care expenses, or uninsured medical, dental, or vision expenses.
- Employee Health Clinic (EHC): A walk-in medical clinic, operating 40 hours a week, for all County employees is available. Services provided include acute care, first aid, evaluation and care for workers' compensation injuries, pre-employment screenings, health education, and behavioral health referrals. Services offered both in person and through telehealth. Acute care available to employee’s children ages 5-17 regardless of health insurance coverage and for employees’ adult children (ages 18-26) or employee’s spouse if covered on the county’s health insurance.
- Wellness: The County recognizes the importance of our health and well-being. We maintain a very proactive and effective Wellness Program, including reimbursement and discounts for gym membership, incentives for physical activity, on-site nutrition counseling, free exercise opportunities, wellness education and more.
- Employee Assistance Program: Counseling services are available to all County employees and eligible dependents. Services are provided in a private and confidential setting (in-person or virtually). The County provides coverage for the first six visits.
Work Life Balance
- Annual Leave: Full-time employees earn from 10-21 days annually based on years of service. Service credit from other NC and Local Governments in the retirement system may be transferred to the County.
- Sick Leave: Full-time employees earn one day (8 hours) of sick leave per month. Sick leave from other NC and Local Governments in the retirement system may be transferred to the County.
- Holiday Leave: Throughout the year, 11 days of paid leave are provided in recognition of holidays.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Time off for activities that support our local schools.
- Continuing educational assistance.
- Discount tickets to recreational venues.
- Employee appreciation days/activities.
- Tax-free flexible spending account to pay for dependent care.
- Local Governmental Employees Retirement System: For employees assigned to work 20 hours per week or more in a benefitted position, participation in this program is automatic. Employees contribute 6% of their salary, which is tax deferred. After (5) years of credible service, you become fully vested in the retirement system. Employees may also take advantage of individual and group retirement counseling through the Human Resources department.
- 401K: The County provides a 2% contribution plus an additional 1% match (up to 3% total contribution by the County).
- Other Tax Deferred Programs: Other tax-sheltering programs are available through IRS Code 125 (Cafeteria Plan), and a 457 supplemental retirement plan (Deferred Compensation).
- Longevity Pay: After 5 years of creditable service, employees, receive an annual longevity payment that rewards length of service to Catawba County. The amount is based on years of service.
- Life Insurance: Death Benefit of one times annual salary is with a minimum amount of $25,000. Optional life insurance coverage is also available for both employee and dependents through payroll deduction at group rates.
- Short Term Disability: Available at no cost to employees, benefits are available after a 55 day waiting period.
- Long Term Disability: Available at group rates.
- Eligibility for membership and financial services at State Employees Credit Union (SECU)/Local Government Federal Credit Union (LGFCU).