Frequently Asked Questions

Dog barking may fall under the noise ordinance, which is enforced by the Sheriff’s Office. They can be contacted at (828) 464-3112.

Animal Services handles nuisance complaints, reports of bites and reports of animal cruelty. Call (828) 466-6814 to reach Animal Services.

If you are missing an animal or if you have found an animal please report this information to the Animal Shelter at 828-466-6812. You may also list the Lost or Found animal on To view all animals that have been picked up by animal control, brought in or dropped off at the animal shelter please click following link. Animal Shelter Lost and Found Pets

If the animal is in the public right of way, call (828) 468-6280 regarding removal. If the deceased animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

Notify Animal Services about injured or wounded domestic animals at (828) 466-6814. If the injured domestic animal is located within the following city limits please contact the local Police Department for the area: Newton, Hickory, Longview, Maiden, Town of Catawba, or the Town of Brookford.

Catawba County does not have a leash law. An animal can remain loose as long as it is on the owner’s property, displays a valid rabies vaccination tag, and is not a nuisance.

Contact Animal Services at (828) 466-6814. If you live within the city limits of the follow cities please contact your local Police Department: Newton, Hickory, Longview, Maiden, Catawba or Brookford. Any stray animal found in Catawba County can also be taken to the Animal Shelter located at 201 Governement Services Drive, Newton during the hours of Tuesday - Saturday 11am-6pm.

Yes, all dogs and cats four months of age or older must be vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian and display a valid rabies tag.

Animal Control no longer offers a Trap Rental Service. Live Animal traps can be purchased at local retailers such as Tractor Supply or Southern States.

It is illegal in Catawba County to possess a dangerous exotic animal. This includes any member of the dog or cat family not customarily domesticated, any member of the bear family, primates, or elephants.

It is also illegal to harbor inherently dangerous reptiles including rear-fanged snakes, any venomous reptile, or members of the crocodile family. To learn more, read the County’s ordinance on dangerous exotic animals.