Students of all ages can find books, magazines, and technology tools – and the expert help – to keep them reading, entertained, and learning for a lifetime.
Browse these links for resources and handouts that let you keep learning at home!
- Earth Day 2020: Children's Book Titles (click the book covers to learn more)
- Harry the Dirty Dog: Craft Idea & Coloring Sheet
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?: Color Sorting Activity Sheet & Actividad para clasificar los colores
- A Color of His Own (Su proprio color): English Coloring Sheet & Coloring Sheet en español
- Buddy and the Bunnies: Activity Sheet
- The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend: Activity Sheet
- The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors: Activity Sheet
- Michelle Obama Storytimes
- The Gruffalo: Readalike Books (click the book covers to learn more)
- There's a Dragon in Your Book: Readalike Books (click the book covers to learn more)
- Miss Maple's Seeds: Readalike Books (click the book covers to learn more)
- A Very Hungry Caterpillar: Readalike Books (click the book covers to learn more)
- Time Capsule
- STEAM Challenges
- Origami Yoda Explore the Book Series (click the book covers to learn more)
- Book Lists
- Racial Understanding (click the book covers to learn more; separate selections for children, teens, and adults)
- Juneteenth 2020
- DIY Flower Craft
The library offers plenty of STEAM programming: STEAM is an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics as access points for guiding student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. The end results are students who take thoughtful risks, engage in experiential learning, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work through the creative process. These are the innovators, educators, leaders, and learners of the 21st century! Check out our calendar for STEAM programming near you!
Bow, Wow! Recent studies reveal dog-gone grrreat news: Children who read aloud to therapy dogs on a regular basis demonstrate drastic improvement in their reading skills! Animals provide a safe, non-judgmental presence for struggling readers.
Come read with our furry supporters to help your child:
- Sustain focus and concentration
- Maintain a higher level of awareness
- Improve attitudes toward school
- Increase reading comprehension and fluency
- Expand their use of vocabulary and language
- Boost confidence and pride in their reading skills
- Cultivate a higher motivation for reading and learning
- Foster positive social interactions
- Feel more comfortable about learning
- Enjoy the experience of reading
Contact us at the Main Library in Newton at 828.465.8668 or at the Conover Branch at 828.466.5108 to find a time that works for you.
The Library Homework Helpers program enriches learning opportunities for students and increases educational attainment in Catawba County by supporting student learning with tutoring and coaching. It also increases teen engagement and supports active learning, personal growth, and leadership for teen volunteers who work with elementary students. The library acts as the facilitator and host, bringing high school student volunteers together with elementary age students who need practice reading and help with their homework. This program is available at the Main Library in Newton.
Call one of our locations to to get your student signed up for help or to volunteer as a helper.
Battle of the Books is a reading incentive program for students in 3rd through 12th grades. Students read books and come together to demonstrate their abilities and test their knowledge of the books they have read. The library collects books for the program and collaborates with schools for programming.
Our online catalog offers a Kids Search just for children’s materials. Check it out here.
Tumblebooks is the global leader in children's e-books. Its online collection of picture books, chapter books and audio books is available 24/7 with your Catawba County Library card.
NC Kids is an online collection of e-books and audiobooks for children pre-K through 4th grade. Sponsored by the NCPLDA (NC Public Library Directors Association) and the NCGA (NC General Assembly) with assistance from State Library of NC, a division of the Dept. of Natural & Cultural Resources, and supported by an IMLS federal LSTA grant.
NC Digital Library-Children’s Section is the children’s section of another online collection of e-books and audiobooks.
ABC Mouse is a safe and secure online educational environment to help children build a strong foundation for future academic success by providing a comprehensive and engaging online curriculum that greatly assists early learners to succeed in pre-k, kindergarten, and early elementary school programs. This resource is only available at the library.