Catawba County News
Earthquakes, floods, tornadoes...
Published: August 26, 2021
Earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, building collapse, fires, tropical storms, lightning, pandemics… Lately the lead story on the evening news is some new disaster destroying homes, entire communities and taking lives.
So, how resilient are you? How about your family? Your business? Your community? Resiliency is your capacity to recover quickly from difficulties. In other words, what’s your toughness level? We are often so busy with our day-to-day lives that we don’t get around to preparing for the inevitable disaster.
August is North Carolina Preparedness Month and a great time to up your resiliency by taking stock of five things in your life:
- Prepare the essentials: If you had 10 minutes to evacuate, what would you grab?
- Inventory personal property: Are you fully aware of everything you own?
- Know evacuation routes: Do you know how you would evacuate from home and from work?
- Understand your insurance: Does your homeowners or renters insurance fully cover your home? Does your commercial insurance cover your business assets?
- Store important documents: Are they stored securely? Do you have backups and copies stored somewhere else?
Doing just a little prep work can go a long way when it happens to you. We cannot always avoid disaster but we can be prepared.
Photo credit: Kelly Sikkema