Catawba County emphasizes safety, liquidity and yield in its investment policy and permits the following investments in accordance with North Carolina General Statute 159-30(c).
- Obligations of the United States or obligations fully guaranteed both as to principal and interest by the United States.
- Obligations of the Federal Financing Bank, the Federal Farm Credit Bank, The Bank for Cooperatives, The Federal Intermediate Credit Bank, The Federal Land Banks, The Federal Home Loan Banks, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, the Federal National Mortgage Association, the Government National Mortgage Association, the Federal Housing Administration, the Farmers Home Administration and the U.S. Postal Service.
- Obligations of the State of North Carolina.
- Deposits of interests or purchase of certificates of deposit with any bank, savings and loan association or trust company in North Carolina, provided such deposits or certificates of deposits are fully collateralized.
- Prime quality commercial paper bearing the highest rating of at least one nationally recognized rating service and not bearing a rating below the highest (A1, P1, F1) by any nationally recognized rating service which rates the particular obligation.
- Participating shares in a mutual fund for local government investment (such as the N.C. Capital Management Trust), which is certified by the N.C. Local Government Commission.