The Catawba County Detention Center is located on the Catawba County Government Campus in Newton, NC. The original facility was built in 1980 and an expansion was completed in 2007. Plans are underway for another expansion to address the rising inmate population.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I visit with an inmate?
- Visitation hours are 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm and 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- You must be signed in by 4:15 pm or 9:15 pm
- Visitation is done by last name: Mondays A-C, Tuesdays D-J, Wednesdays K-R, and Fridays S-Z
- You must provide photo ID when you sign in for your visit.
- Inmates are allowed one (1) fifteen minute visit per week
- Attorneys may visit any day from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Can I get a special or extra visit?
- For a fee, you can have additional visits from your home anytime that the inmate is out on rec time. The inmates know their schedule, so they can let you know when they are out. Visit www.homewav.com to set up an account and for additional information
Am I on the inmate’s visitation list?
- We cannot disclose who is on the inmate’s visitation list. You must ask the inmate if you are on his/her list.
Can you give the inmate a message for me?
- We cannot pass messages to the inmate. You can write a letter to the inmate at:
Catawba County Detention Center
PO Box 385
Newton NC 28658
- or visit www.homewav.com and send a one minute video message for a small fee.
Is __________ in jail?
How can I contact an inmate by telephone?
- The telephone service is provided by Pay-tel. Visit www.paytel.com to set up an account
When is ________ going to be released?
- Inmates who are completing a sentence will know the day that they are scheduled to be released. The exact time may vary. There is a phone available to the inmate in our lobby that they may use to contact you upon their release.
Is there a warrant on me?
- In order to accurately check for a warrant, you must provide your full name and date of birth to the desk officer
Can I get an inmate’s property released to me?
- Inmates can sign a release for keys and/or mobile phones. All other items remain in their property until the inmate is released.
- Debit cards, EBT cards and other financial type cards cannot be released
An inmate is being housed at Burke/Catawba District Confinement Facility. How/when can I visit him?
- Contact the Burke/Catawba District Confinement Facility at 828-438-5435
How can I put money on an inmate’s account?
- Visit www.inmatedeposits.com or call toll free 1-866-345-1884
- Cash only deposits can be made at the ATM in the lobby of the Detention Center
- You can mail a US Postal Service money order for the inmate’s account
Can I order commissary for an inmate from home?
What items can I bring for an inmate?
- You may bring medications, glasses, or books (limit 1 per day) for an inmate
- Books must be soft cover and reasonably sized
What is the telephone number for _________?
- Magistrate’s Office: 828 695-6119 (Newton) 828 327-9093 (Hickory)
- District Attorney’s Office: 828 695-6110
- Clerk of Court: 828 695-6100
- Probation: 828 466-5653
- Catawba County Sheriff’s Office: 828 464-5241
- Burke/Catawba Detention Center: 828 438-5435
- Newton Police Dept: 828 465-7430
- Hickory Police Dept: 828 328-5551
- Conover Police Dept: 828 464-4698
- Claremont Police Dept: 828 459-7865
What is the inmate’s court date?