Catawba County News
Filing for 2019 Catawba County Municipal Elections Begins July 5
Published: June 17, 2019
The filing period for candidates seeking a town or city municipal office seat in the November 5, 2019 elections in all eight of Catawba County’s municipalities begins, by law, at 12:00 noon on Friday, July 5, 2019. Filing will end at 12:00 noon on Friday, July 19, 2019.
Seats on the various municipal councils that will be open are as follows:
- Town of Brookford: Aldermen (4-year term) – two seats
- Town of Catawba: Mayor (4-year term), Councilmen (4 year term) – two seats
- City of Claremont: Councilmen (4 year term) – three seats
- City of Conover: Councilmen (4-year term) – three seats
- Town of Long View: Ward 1, Ward 3, and Ward 4 Aldermen (4-year term) – three seats
- Town of Maiden: Mayor (2-year term), Councilmen – three seats with the top two candidates receiving the highest number of votes serving 4-year terms and the candidate receiving the third highest number of votes serving a 2-year term
- City of Newton: Mayor (4-year term), Council (4-year term) – three seats
- City of Hickory: Ward 1, Ward 2 and Ward 3 Aldermen (4-year term) – three seats.
The filing fee is $12.00 for City of Hickory seats and $5.00 for all other municipal seats.
Interested candidates should file in Newton at the Catawba County Board of Elections Office in the Government Center at 25 Government Dr. Staff will be available 8am-5pm Monday through Friday to assist with the candidate filing form and the required campaign committee forms. Candidates must be 21 years old and be a registered voter in the municipality (and ward) for which they are filing.
For more information on filing for the municipal elections, call the Catawba County Board of Elections office at 828-464-2424 or visit www.catawbacountync.gov/elections/.