Catawba County offers the services of Confidential Intermediary to:
Standard Services of Confidential Intermediary Program
- An Adoptee over the age of 18 whose adoption was through any North Carolina DSS.
- A biological parent of an adult adoptee.
- An adult biological sibling of an adult adoptee.
- An adult biological half sibling of an adult adoptee.
- An adult family member of a deceased biological parent.
- An adult family member of a deceased adoptee.
Additional Confidential Intermediary services:
- Provide initial consultation regarding Catawba County Social Services’ policy on Confidential Intermediary Services
- Includes a search for birth parents or for an adult adoptee by conducting an in-house record review and use of Internet
- Ascertain that person’s willingness to share identifying information or have contact with the applicant.
- Provide the intermediary services needed to ensure all parties are addressing the psychological and social issues in a healthy and productive manner
- Obtain a copy of a death certificate of the person who is the subject of the search and deliver it to the person requesting services (applicant is responsible for the cost of the death certificate).
Requirement for services
- Search for a family member not included in the Standard Services
- Facilitate contact if both parties agree.
- Continue to provide the intermediary services needed to ensure all parties are addressing the psychological and social issues in a healthy and productive manner.
- Referral to counseling agency should additional therapeutic counseling be requested or needed.
Consultation with a social worker regarding information on the Confidential Intermediary Program.
- Provide picture ID with proof of age and other appropriate documents of identity and relationships.
- Complete and sign Application, Agreement, Consent to Release Information and Release of liability.
- Initial fee is due at time of Application.