On October 1st , 2016, Deed of Trust fees will change. The new fee will be $64 for Deeds of Trust up to 35 pages in length. Additional pages will be subject to a $4 per page fee.


Is there a cost for filing or getting a certified copy of my Military Dischage?
No. There is no fee for filing a military discharge. Certified copies of military discharge documents are free to military veterans.

What do I need to record a Military Discharge?
Your DD214 form (Discharge from Active Duty, Certificate of Release or any military discharge form you may have) and a photo ID (Drivers License, State issued Identification Card, Passport or Military Identification Card) are required.

Are the Discharges viewable to the public?
No. NCGS 47-113.2 does not allow these documents available for viewing if they are less than 80 years old and there are restrictions on who may have a copy of the Discharges. Authorized parties are:
  • The subject of the document or the subject's widow or widower.
  • Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing:
    • by the subject or subject's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
    • by a court to represent subject, or
    • by the subject's executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject.
  • Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense or a court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit
  • Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives

Do I have to come in person to request a copy of my DD214?
Yes. We are unable to comply with a request for a copy or request for information made by mail, fax or e-mail for discharges that have been on record less than 80 years unless it comes from Division of Veteranís Affairs and an Authorization Form issued by NC Dept. of Administration accompanies the request form. Veterans who live outside of NC should contact the Veterans Service Officer in their county or state and ask that they contact the NC DVA for assistance. We also do not supply any specific information from a discharge record in response to phone requests.

What is the ID card that I've heard about that's issued from your office?
We want to "Thank You for Your Service" everyday. Click here for more information


rate pageRate Page

facebook Twitter Instagram Flickr You Tube Foursquare RSS Feed Blogs Question Idea Box iCATCO Mobile App
© 2015, Catawba County Government, North Carolina. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer - Privacy/Security Notice

2015 Digital Counties Survey Winner