Adult Protective Services

The Adult Protective Services division receives and investigates reports of suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation, of a disabled adult (ages 18 and older). If you are reporting adult abuse or neglect, we will need the person’s name, address or location, caretaker information, type of incapacity, and if anyone is able and willing to access services.

Learn more here about how to report suspected adult abuse, neglect or exploitation.

Social Services can be appointed as Guardian of the Person for an individual who has been deemed incompetent by the Clerk of Court for the purpose of performing duties relating to an individual’s care, custody and control. An adult may be declared incompetent by the Clerk of Court is he/she lacks sufficient capacity to manage his or her own affairs or to make or communicate important decisions concerning his or her person, family or property. Social Services is only appointed as a last resort when there is no family member or responsible person who is able or willing to serve.

Contact: Catawba County Social Services, (828) 695-5609

This program appoints Catawba County Social Services to serve as protective payee for those receiving social security, veteran's benefits, or public assistance who are in jeopardy of being deprived of basic needs.

Monthly Fee: $15.00 depending on income and / or balance

To Apply: Call the local Social Security Office at (828) 328-3609 or Catawba County Social Services at (828) 695-5609.

Catawba County Social Services offers Information and Options Counseling to adults in the county who are experiencing a major life transition and need assistance discovering and navigating the services that may be available to them. Information can be provided about services ranging from in-home assistance and adult day care to assisted living or nursing home placement. This service is designed to help individuals identify options, weigh the pros and cons of each, and make an action plan to help meet their goals.

Individuals seeking this service may include aging individuals wanting to explore options to sustain health, wellness, and independence; individuals returning home from a rehab center; or an individual having increased difficulty managing household tasks, but who wants explore options to remain at home.

To schedule an appointment with a certified Information and Options counselor, call Catawba County Social Services at 828-695-5609. This service is provided free of charge.