Procurement Practices and Procedures
- The County is not bound by any commitment to a vendor by a department.
- A purchase order is required for all purchases valued at $1,000 and above for all County departments.
- Purchases of equipment, supplies, or materials valued at $90,000 and above are processed by the Purchasing Agent through a formal bid process.
- Formal bids require written specifications, legal advertisement, sealed bids, and in some situations a bid bond is required. Once bids are opened, these bids are available for public inspection.
- Informal bids are for items less than $90,000 and are confidential until bid award.
- The County Manager is authorized to award bids for purchases of supplies and equipment less than $250,000.
- The Catawba County Board of Commissioners reserves the right to reject any and all bids.
The staff of the Purchasing Department is committed to the following Code of Ethics:
- To conduct all purchasing activities according to applicable laws, rules,
regulations, and policies of Catawba County and the State of North Carolina.
- To uphold the practices and principles of the professional purchaser.
- To conduct all purchasing activities in such a manner as to develop and maintain good public, vendor and internal relationships.
- To encourage fair and open competition by legitimate and ethical means.
- To extend honest, courteous and impartial treatment to all interested and qualified suppliers.
- To maintain purchasing integrity at all times, keep free from any personal obligations to vendors, and respect their confidence.
- To promote the goodwill of the Purchasing Division at all times.
- To respect purchasing authority at all times, and not use it for private advantage or gain.