PREVIEW OF COUNTY COMMISSION AGENDA
MONDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2009, 7:00 P.M.
ROBERT E. HIBBITTS MEETING ROOM
1924 COURTHOUSE, NEWTON, NC
The Catawba County Board of Commissioners will consider accepting a $31,745 State Criminal Alien Assistance Program Grant, which would provide reimbursement for some costs associated with the housing of undocumented criminal aliens in local jails, and conduct a work session, following its regular agenda, to receive an update on the condition of the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge, when the Board meets at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 19, 2009 at the 1924 Courthouse at 30 North College Avenue in Newton.
The Board will consider accepting a grant from the US Department of Justice’s State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) in the amount of $31,745. The SCAAP is a formula-based grant program which provides agencies with reimbursement for some of the costs associated with housing undocumented criminal aliens in local jail facilities. There are no matching funds required for this award. It is funded entirely by the Federal Government. These grant funds are based on individuals held in the Newton Detention Center and those held for Catawba County at the Burke-Catawba District Confinement Facility in Morganton during fiscal year 2007-2008. Funds under this program may be used for correctional purposes only. Staff has recommended these funds be used for medical services in the jail. This expense is unpredictable during the year, because it is dependant on the inmates’ presented medical conditions and the need fluctuates as the population changes.
WORK SESSION-CATAWBA COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM/PLANNING, PARKS AND DEVELOPMENT
The Board is expected to receive an update on the condition of the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge from Melinda Herzog, Director of the Catawba County Historical Museum and Jacky Eubanks, the County’s Director of Planning, Parks and Development, during a work session which will follow the Board’s regular agenda.
Designated as a National Civil Engineering Landmark in 2001, the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge is the only remaining example in wood of the Improved Lattice Truss design patented by General Herman Haupt. It it one of only two original remaining covered bridges in North Carolina. According to the Catawba County Historical Museum’s web site (www.catawbahistory.org), the bridge was built in 1895 by Andy L. Ramsour. In 1894, the Catawba County Board of Commissioners called on the owners of Bunker Hill Farm, located nearby, to build and maintain a bridge that would cross Lyle’s Creek on the old Island Ford Road, a former Native American trail. The landowners hired Ramsour, keeper of the Horseford covered bridge that spanned the Catawba River north of Hickory. He likely found Haupt’s design in a popular book on bridge building. Originally constructed as an open span, the bridge, which has a 91 foot long roof, was covered in 1900. In 1921, its wooden shingles were replaced with a tin roof. Bolick Family members donated the bridge to the Catawba County Historical Association in 1985, which restored it in 1994 with the expertise of Arnold M. Graton, a master bridgewright from Ashland, New Hampshire.
CONTACT: DAVE HARDIN, PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER 828-465-8464