The following animals may be impounded and taken to the animal shelter by a Catawba County Animal Control Officer:
- Any dog or cat failing to have attached to it a current rabies tag.
- Any stray dog or cat.
- Any dog found running at large if such dog is reported as having committed an act of public nuisance and an Animal Control Officer determined after investigating that the report is supported by the evidence.
- Any vicious dog which has not at all times been confined within a secure building or enclosure or securely muzzled and under restraint by a competent person who, by means of a leash, chain or rope, has had such animal firmly under control at all times.
- Any animal subjects to impoundment under any other applicable ordinance or state law (i.e., rabies laws) providing for the same.
The owner of any impounded animal shall have a period of three working days for redemption. An owner shall pay the following administrative fees prior to redeeming an impounded animal
- Impoundment transportation fee, $50;
If an animal is officially surrendered by the owner to the Animal Control Officer to be placed in a home or destroyed in a humane manner, it may be adopted, placed in a rescue, or euthanized after 24 hours.