Click to go to Catawba County Home Page

Local Code Compliance

Click on the links below for answers to the most common questions asked. If your questions are not answered here, we invite you to call the Local Code Compliance Technician, Ed Barton at 828-312-2292 and Ronda Branham at 828-312-5710 or the program’s manager, Jonathan Greer, at 828-464-6411 .

Erosion Control
  • Click Here to jump to the Catawba County Erosion Control website to get answers to your questions concerning erosion control compliance.

Solid Waste Management and Franchise

Unified Deveploment Ordinance (UDO) Why is there a Local Code Compliance Program?
Some areas of local code compliance are grouped together in order to better assist the citizens and property owners of Catawba County throughout the unincorporated portion of the county and outside the extraterritorial planning jurisdictions of the municipalities. Our goal is to provide information to enhance and improve our community and public awareness. In areas of Junk Vehicles, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), Solid Waste Management, Solid Waste Franchise, and Erosion Control you won’t be forced to deal with multiple departments. Your concerns can be addressed by one department with cross-trained technicians that can provide timely responses.

How do I speak to a code compliance technician?
Our local code compliance staff is here to work closely with you in a team approach, providing information and assistance to enable you to obtain compliance. To help you get an answer as quickly as possible, here is a list of helpful office and mobile phone numbers, and email addresses. This will help you in getting answers to your questions and concerns that could save time and money. Contact Us

How do I report a situation, concern, or complaint?
Reporting a Code Compliance Concern.

How do I know which technician is assigned to my area?
The county is divided into two service areas; Ed Barton covers the eastern part of the County, Kim Sue covers the western part. You may access a map of the assigned service areas here. If your code compliance technician is away from the office, another technician will be able to assist you.

What do you mean I am in violation of Solid Waste Code Chapter 32?
The Solid Waste Code Chapter 32 is a section in the Catawba County Code of Ordinances which address many issues concerning solid waste such as garbage collection permits, fees, garbage collection and transport, garbage storage and accumulation, land-clearing and inert debris landfills, construction and demolition debris landfills and individual demolition debris disposal sites. You may access the Code of Ordinances at and search by subject or chapter. You may also click here to view or download a pdf version of Chapter 32 Solid Waste Management.

What do I do if someone dumps trash, garbage, tires, appliances or other solid waste on my property?
Unfortunately, as the property owner you are responsible for your property. Therefore, the County will address a particular situation to you. However, we will work with you allowing as much time as possible to bring the property into compliance, suggest ideas that may provide assistance, and recommend courses of action.

Why am I required to use Garbage Disposal Service?
The County provides curbside solid waste and recycling collection through its solid waste franchise agreement with Republic Services of North Carolina, LLC, d.b.a. Garbage Disposal Service. This gives the citizens in the unincorporated areas of the County the opportunity to have garbage pickup with the convenience of the collection at curbside. For information on curbside recycling and garbage pickup, call Garbage Disposal Service at 828-256-2158.

What if I use another waste hauler?
Unfortunately, if you are using another waste hauler collecting solid waste from your property located in the unincorporated areas of the County you are violating the County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 32. In order to protect the citizens and property owners the County has no choice but to enforce a franchise violation. It is important to note that the franchise agreement does not apply to properties within a municipal boundary or its extraterritorial jurisdiction.

Why is there a statement on my building permit that says I have to use GDS?
If your building project is located within the unincorporated areas of Catawba County, the use of the construction and demolition roll-off container is governed through the franchise agreement with Garbage Disposal Service. For questions concerning this portion of the franchise agreement, please contact the Permit Center at 828-465-8399 or the Utilities and Engineering Department at 828-465-8261.

How do I dispose of?
Click here to link to the Solid Waste Management website to find out how to dispose of some common types of waste.

What do you mean I am in violation of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)?
Click here to link to the Unified Development Ordinance website.

Why can’t I have a junked vehicle on my property?
A junked vehicle is any motor vehicle that does not display a current North Carolina license plate that:
  • Is partially dismantled or wrecked.
  • Cannot be moved by means which it was originally intended to move. This inculdes dismantled truck trailers or truck bed boxes which were originally attached ot a motorized vechicle.
  • Or is more than 5 years old and appears to be worth less than $100.
This ordinance is intended to protect the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of the County, natural scenic beauty as well as property values.

Are there exceptions to the junked vehicle ordinance?
Yes. The exceptions are if the motor vehicle is in an enclosed building; at a business enterprise being legally maintained and operated primarily for the purpose of making repairs to motor vehicles; or on the premises of a business enterprise being operated in a legally zoned place if the vehicle is necessary in the operation of the business or needed in the operation of a bona-fide farm. This is not a complete list, refer to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), Section 44-810.

Jonathon Greer
Jonathan Greer
Utilities & Engineering
Landfill-Project Manager
Phone:(828) 464-6411

map 25 Government Drive
Newton, NC 28658