Click to go to Catawba County Home Page
Bookmark and ShareShare Page    print pagePrint Page


Frequently Asked Questions

Tax Collections
Phone: (828) 465-8414

Email Tax Collections

map 25 Government Drive
Newton, NC 28658

Office Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monday - Friday

  • Do I need to register my business name?

    Yes. Business names need to be recorded with the Register of Deeds, and it is recommended that you do this before applying for a Privilege/Business license. If you are using your name in association with the business it still needs to be recorded.  This is considered a Doing Business As (DBA) name and registering it will protect your business name.

  • Do I need a State or Federal ID Number before I can obtain my local license?

    No.  However please contact the Business Tax Collections at 828-465-8414 to inquire about specific requirements needed in order to obtain a Privilege/Business License.

  • Is a Federal Tax ID number the same as a Sales Tax number?

    No. The North Carolina Department of Revenue issues a state sales tax number which allows you to buy wholesale and sell retail whereas a Federal ID number is entirely different.  For sales tax number information, please contact the North Carolina Department of Revenue at 828-327-7474. For Federal ID number information, please contact the Federal Information Center at 1-800-688-9889.

  • How do I obtain a Beer & Wine License?

    Before the Tax Collector can issue a Beer & Wine License, you must obtain an Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) permit issued to the business by the State of North Carolina.  To begin the permitting process, please contact the State Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) Division at 828-466-5550.

  • How do I get a listing form?

    Please contact the Business Personal Property Office at 828-465-8406.

  • I need to know what was listed last year.  How can I obtain this information?

    Please contact the Business Personal Property Office at 828-465-8406.

  • What is the deadline to list Business Personal Property?

    The listing deadline is January 31st unless an extension is granted.  If a listing extension is needed, please send a formal request to the Business Personal Property Office before January 31.The mailing address is:  Business Personal Property Listing, PO Box 368, Newton, NC 28658.

  • My business closed in March. I have received a tax bill for this year.  How much am I responsible for?

    Bills are based on business listings as of January 1st. You are responsible to the taxes for this year.  When you receive a listing form the following January, you will need to write on it that the business was sold and what happened to all the assets.

  • I started a new business and need to get set up for taxes.  What do I do?

    Please contact the Business Personal Property Office at 828-465-8406.