Click to go to Catawba County Home Page
Bookmark and ShareShare Page    print pagePrint Page
Quick Links

water droplet

Answers to Frequently Asked Water Questions

Randy Willis
Contact: Randy Willis
District Administrator
Phone: (828) 465-8950
Email Randy Willis


mapAgricultural Resources Center
1175 S Brady Avenue
Newton, NC 28658

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m

How do I get county water service?
There is no Catawba County Water Service. Water is provided by several Cities and by many private water companies or homeowner associations or by community wells. You may have to ask your neighbors about water service that they are receiving.

How do I get my water tested?
Contact the Catawba County Environmental Health Department, Catawba County - Water samples can be obtained from the Catawba County Environmental Health Division by visiting the Government Center, at 100A Southwest Boulevard in Newton, to submit an application and pay the fee or by downloading the application (PDF) and mailing the completed form to the Environmental Health Division at PO Box 389, Newton, NC 28658, together with the applicable fee.

There are two Private Laboratories that provide water testing services:
Water Tech Laboratories, Inc 828-396-4444
Blue Ridge Labs 828-728-0149.

How do I report an environmental emergency?
Call NC Emergency Management
Toll-free: 1-800-858-0368

How do I find get info on NC's environmental & natural resource programs?
For info on NC's environmental & natural resource programs, services & regulations,
call DENR Customer Service toll-free: 1-877-623-6748.

Where do I get information on building a farm pond?
Click here to download an Adobe Acrobat pdf of the USDA-NRCS publication "Building a Farm Pond".

For information regarding obtaining a North Carolina permit for pond construction, contact: http:/

A good source of information is the on-line "POND MANAGEMENT GUIDE" from NCSU,

Can I dam up any stream?
It may be against the law to dam up a stream and completely stop the flow of water. Please see these references from the NC General Statutes.


Where can I get old aerial photographs?
All of the old aerial photography that SCS and NRCS once had, have been donated to the Catawba County Historical Association, and are available for public viewing at the Catawba County Museum of History offices, 1942 Courthouse, in downtown Newton.

Tuesday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sunday: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Telephone: 828.465.0383
Facsimile: 828.465.9813

Where can I find Flood Plain Maps?
Contact the Catawba County Planning Department, or see

Where can I find information on Riparian Buffers?

Where do I find information about applying for a Well or Septic permit?

The On-Site Wastewater program permits and supervises the installation of septic systems where sewer lines are not available so that sewage may be safely disposed of with the least impact on individuals and the environment. The Well program supervises the siting, installation and protection of private water supplies, and monitors the performance of well contractors in Catawba County.

Back to Page 1 Questions and Answers           Forward to page 3 Questions and Answers