Risk Management is the management of risk exposures and their related costs. By continually evaluating and monitoring insurable risk and loss exposures of the County and managing the commercial insurance and self-insurance programs as well as the claim, claim mitigation, safety and loss prevention programs, the cost of risk is minimized.
Risk Management Objectives
- To protect and preserve Catawba County assets and its employees against losses which could deplete County resources or impair the County's ability to meet its legal obligations or provide services to its citizens.
- To institute all practical measures to eliminate or control injury to persons, loss to property or other loss producing conditions that may adversely affect revenue flows.
- To serve as a professional safety and risk management resource to all County departments and agencies.
- To achieve these objectives in the most effective and economical manner.
- To serve as a safety and risk training resource for all departments and agencies of the County.
Risk Management is responsible for oversight and protection of all County assets through purchase of insurance, contractual risk transfer, program and operational analysis, mitigation of insured losses, safety and loss prevention and related programs and policy development.
Training available through Risk Management
Catawba County formalized the risk management process in 1993 when the position of risk manager was created and funded with incentive money to manage the growth in exposures and costs inherent in the County that is growing at an exponential rate.
Risk Management has established County wide written policies and procedures relative to insurance and self-insurance programs, claim management and employee safety and health programs and security. Risk Management serves as a resource to management, supervisors, administration and Safety Committee Representatives of each department.
Contractual Risk Transfer procedures and a Certificate of Insurance evaluation ensures that the County has reliable recourse against vendors and contractors who create exposure to the County while operating on our premises or while providing service to the County Agencies and Departments under contract.
Risk Management manages the aggressive pursuit of insurance recoveries for damages caused to County property and vehicles by third parties though its Subrogation Procedures.
Employee safety and compliance with Federal and State mandated safety regulations are managed and monitored though development of standards and training required under the Occupational Safety and Health Act and other related guidelines.
Technical assistance available through Risk Management
- Defensive driving courses
- Blood-borne pathogens
- Hazardous communication
- Emergency building evacuation (with Emergency Management)
- Personal protective equipment
- Back (postural) safety
- Violence in the workplace
- Respiratory Protection
Inspection and Audit
- Noise level measurement
- Indoor Air Quality measurement
- Office ergonomic measurement
- Regulatory compliance (NCOSHA)
- Work site safety inspections
- Building safety
- ADA compliance