Bed and breakfast homes and inns are inspected once per fiscal year.
"Bed and Breakfast Home" means a private home offering bed and breakfast
accommodations to eight or less persons per night for a period of less than a week.
15A NCAC 18A .2202 PERMITS
(a) No person shall operate a bed and breakfast home within the State of North Carolina who does not
possess a valid permit from the Division.
(b) No permit to operate shall be issued to a person until an inspection by the Division shows that the home complies with the rules of this Section.
(c) Upon transfer of ownership of an existing bed and breakfast home, the Division shall evaluate the
facility to determine compliance with the rules. If the establishment satisfies all the requirements of the
rules, a permit shall be issued. If the establishment does not satisfy all the requirements of the rules, a
permit shall not be issued. However, if the Department determines that the noncompliant items are
construction or equipment problems that do not represent an immediate threat to the public health, a
transitional permit may be issued. The transitional permit shall expire 90 days after the date of issuance,
unless suspended or revoked before that date, and shall not be renewed. Upon expiration of a transitional
permit, the owner or operator shall have corrected the noncompliant items and obtained a permit, or the bed and breakfast home shall not continue to operate.
(d) The Division may impose conditions on the issuance of a permit or a transitional permit. Conditions may be specified for one or more of the following areas:
(1) The number of bedrooms or persons served.
(e) A permit is issued by and inspections are made by local and state sanitarians who are authorized
representatives of the Division.
(2) The amount of laundry or kitchen and tableware washing equipment on the premises.
(3) Time schedules in completing minor construction items.
(4) Modification or maintenance of water supplies, water use fixtures and sanitary sewage systems.
(5) Use of facilities for more than one purpose.
(6) Continuation of contractual arrangements upon which basis the permit was issued.
(7) Submission and approval of plans for renovation.
(8) Any other conditions necessary for a bed and breakfast home to remain in compliance with this Section.
(f) A permit or transitional permit shall be immediately revoked in accordance with G.S. 130A-23(d) for
failure of the facility to maintain a minimum grade of C. A permit or transitional permit may otherwise be
suspended or revoked in accordance with G.S. 130A-23. A new permit to operate shall be issued only after the establishment has been reinspected by the Division and found to comply with this Section. This
reinspection will be conducted within a reasonable length of time, not to exceed 30 days, after the request is made by the operator