Click to go to Catawba County Home Page
Bookmark and ShareShare Page    print pagePrint Page
Quick Links


Emergency Management FAQs

Karyn Yaussy

  Karyn Yaussy
Emergency Management Coordinator
Phone: (828) 465-8989
Email Karyn Yaussy

Physical Address:
map 25 Government Drive
Newton, NC 28658

Mailing Address:
PO Box 389
Newton, NC 28658

Office Hours:
M - F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m

Who do I contact to obtain Environmental Assessment Information?
Engineering and environmental firms performing environmental or Phase I assessments for a specific property can contact our office about fires, hazard chemical spills, environmental clean-ups operations and emergency incidents by emailing: Please submit your request for information in writing via email.

How do I report a power outage?
Please do NOT call 9-1-1 Communications to report a power outage. Power outages must be reported to your power provider or municipal utility service. Calling 9-1-1 for power outages delays 9-1-1 operators from helping others with life-threatening emergencies.

  • If you are a Duke Energy customer please call: 1-800-POWERON or 1-800-769-3766
  • If you are City of Newton customer please call: 828.695.4287 or after hours call 828.695.4311
  • If you are a Town of Maiden customer please call: (828) 428-5033

How do I request a speaker for my organization?
Catawba County Emergency Management provides speakers on a variety of topics including: community and family preparedness, tornado planning and drills, what is emergency preparedness? and overviews of what we do or recent disasters. We frequently work with scout troops to meet the requirements for merit badges. You can call 828-465-8230 and ask for Jim Dickerson and he will coordinate your speaker request.

Where is my nearest evacuation shelter?
The decision on which shelter(s) to open is made based on the specifics of each different emergency. Not all shelters are opened every time Catawba County decides to open a shelter. If the emergency threat is in a specific area we would open a shelter as close as possible to that specific but out of danger. Listen to local TV and radio during an emergency when you think you need shelter to find out where the nearest open shelter is.

How do I sign up to receive emergency notifications on my phone?
You can register on-line at our secure website: Community Alert System Registration

How do I report a chemical or fuel spill?
You should call the Catawba County 911 Communications Center immediately when you discover a chemical or fuel spill. They can be reached by calling 9-1-1 or by calling (828) 464-3112

How do I file my company Tier II or RMP report?
Annual Tier II reports, RMP, new facilities and updates filed to meet the requirements of Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act for both Catawba County and the State of North Carolina must be filed electronically through E-Plan’s Online Tier II Reporting System at  Paper copies are not necessary for Catawba County, the LEPC or the State of North Carolina. If your company requires verification you may email our Emergency management Coordinator at